- 4 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/2 tsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder*
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- Pinch of baking powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water*
- 1/2 pan cooking oil for deep fry
- Mix all the above ingredients
- As you mix them for about 2-3 minutes slightly press them as this will release the moisture from the onion
- Now add water by tbsp as much as you need keeping in mind that the batter should be thick and not flowing when you pick up the mix in your hand.
- Heat oil on medium heat and drop the batter in a tablespoon to keep consistency in size.
- Remove from pan when the batter turns brown on both side and looks cooked.
- Serve with spicy and sweet sauce or Spicy and Tangy Tomato Chutney (Sauce) or Mint Chutney with Yogurt
- Add water little at a time taking care to maintain the thickness of the batter. The batter should be thick enough so as to be scooped into a spoon and dropped into the oil.