This delicacy is made from dry desiccated coconut gently folded into thickened milk with a dash of cardamom powder to give it a savory flavour.
Ingredients: (Makes 22 pieces)
- 2 ½ tbsp. ghee
- 2 cup non-sweet desiccated coconut (not powdered)
- 1 tin condensed milk
- ¼ tsp. cardamom powder
- Food colour of your choice
- Butter to grease the pan or plate
How to make Coconut Barfi:
- Heat ghee and fry the coconut till it becomes slightly roasted;
- Add condensed milk and stir in the mixture;
- Now add the desired colour and keep stirring till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Take care that the mixture does not get burnt at the bottom of the pan. If it does then transfer it to another pan and keep stirring till done.
- Once the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, remove from fire and keep aside to cool.
- The moment you can touch the mixture, put it into desired moulds and keep it aside on greased pan or plate with butter to cool completely. **
- Keep it in airtight container in the fridge. To be consumed within a month.
- If you do not have any mould, the just pour the mixture into a plate greased with butter and allow the mixture to cool a little. Once a little cool, you can cut it into desired shapes before it sets in.