- 6 cups flat rice flakes (poha)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- ¼ tsp asafetida (hing)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 fist of curry leaves
- 2 tbsp roasted and peeled whole peanuts
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- ½ cup of thin coconut slices (dried)
- 1 tsp sugar granules (not very fine sugar)
- Heat the coconut oil in a kadai on a medium flame and add mustard seed. Once it has finished spluttering add cumin seeds, chillies and curry leaves;
- After a minute, add peanuts, cashew nuts and stir the mix;
- Then add coconut slices, tumeric powder and hing powder and stir the mixture;
- Now add the poha and stir it well.
- Continue stirring the poha mixture till all poha has become yellow and looks little crispy;
- Remove from fire and add sugar*.
- You can more sugar as per your taste, if you prefer sweeter chivda
- Do not fry the poha too much otherwise it will get burned.