A) For Marinating:
- 500 gms Shrimps
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilly Powder
- ¼ Tsp. Tumeric Powder (Haldi)
- ½ Tsp. Cumin Seed Powder (Jeera)
B) For Sautéing:
- 5 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 Medium Onions (diced)
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (diced)
- 2 Medium Potatoes (cut into hash brown size)
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard Seed (Rai)
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Seed (Jeera)
- ½ Tsp. Ginger Paste
- ½ Tsp. Garlic Paste
- ½ Tsp. Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilly Powder
- ½ Tsp. Garam Masala (Mixture of dried spices)
- 3 Tbsp. Vodka (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Freshly grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Fist of Curry Leaves
- 1 Medium Bay Leaf
- 2 Fist of Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped finely)
- 2 Fist of Fresh Dill leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 Fist of Fresh Spring Onion (chopped finely)
- Salt as desired
Steps for marinating shrimps:
- Peel the shrimps and wash them in lukewarm water. Pat them dry with kitchen tissues or leave in a strainer till the water has drained out. (I kept it in a strainer for 15 minutes.)
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and cumin seed powder mentioned under Marinating section (A).
- Apply the mixture to the shrimps and set aside for two hours minimum up to a maximum of four hours. Seal the container using a cling wrap and refrigerate it.
Steps for sautéing:
- In a pan add 3 Tbsp. coconut oil.
- When the oil is warm enough, add diced onions and let it cook on slow flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Now make some room in the pan in the middle by pushing the onions aside and add the remaining 2 Tbsps. coconut oil.
- When this oil is warm, add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Now add cumin seed, ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté this mixture for a minute.
- Add curry leaves, bay leaf, 1 fist of fresh dill leaves and 1 fist of fresh coriander. Mix all the ingredients in the pan including the onions put on one side and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala** powder. Add salt as desired. Mix all the ingredients added in the pan till now and allow them to melt on slow flame.
- Once the tomatoes have melted, add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 Tbsp. of Vodka and mix well
- Now add the marinated shrimps, mix all the items in the pan and cook on slow flame till the colour of shrimps have changed to opaque or non-transparent colour.
- Now add 2 Tbsp. freshly grated mozzarella cheese and mix well
- Once the cheese has slightly melted, remove the pan from fire. If you are serving them in another vessel or dish then transfer the cooked shrimps to the final dish and garnish it with one fist of fresh coriander leaves, one fist of fresh dill leaves and one fist of fresh spring onion.
Your dish is now ready for serving. Enjoy.
** Garam Masala can be found in your local grocery or Indian store. The recipe for this powder will also be posted shortly.