I love any sprouts as they have a distinct aromatic and grainy texture. Mung bean sprouts are fat-free and low in calorie. Mung bean sprouts give you an easy way to boost the nutrients in your diet. Bean sprouts‘ benefits include helping to reduce weight, lower cholesterol, improve digestion & boost metabolism.
Below is a simple recipe which can be cooked within 1/2 an hour.
- 2 cups mung sprouts
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 fist of curry leaves
- 2 green chillies slightly slit at the top
- 2 garlic cloves slightly crushed with skin
- 1 medium onion cut into cubes
- 1 medium tomato cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil*
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pan. add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter;
- Add cumin seed and after 1/2 minute add onions and saute it;
- Once the onions are sauteed add garlic, turmeric powder and saute it;
- Now add tomatoes and salt and cook till the tomatoes have slightly melted;
- Rinse mung sprouts and add it to the pan. Cook for 20-25 minutes on medium flame till the mung sprouts have cooked or achieved it desired cooking texture.
The mung sprouts are ready to serve. You can serve it with Saffron Rice or flatbread and Spicy and Tangy Tomato Chutney (Sauce)
- You can substitute coconut oil with any cooking oil.
- For tips on how to sprout Mung beans click on the link below