Ingredients for cake:
- 300 gm. All purpose flour
- 200 gm. Sugar
- 180 gm. Butter (should be slightly melted but it should not be transparent like oil)
- 4 Large eggs **
- 20 gm. Coca
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla essence
- 15 gm. Garam Masala (do not add if you are using spiced rum)
- 250 gm Tutti Fruitti (Mixed glazed peels) **
- 2 cups Alcohol (e.g. Wine, Rum or Cherry Brandy) (optional)
- ¼ tsp. salt
Ingredients for sugar caramel:
- 7 tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup water
Direction for preparing Cake
- Powder the sugar and sift it into a mixing bowl;
- Sift all purpose flour, coca, baking powder, baking soda, garam masala, mix them thoroughly and keep aside;
- In a separate bowl beat eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla essence with an egg beater and keep aside**;
- To prepare the sugar caramel – In a pan put 7 tbp. of sugar and keep it on a low fire . When the sugar turns into caramel add ½ cup of water and stir it. Remove from fire and add it the bowl containing eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla essence and beat it with eggbeater;
- Keep the eggbeater aside and slowly fold the flour mixture prepared under step 2 till all the mixture is mixed up;
- If the tutti fruitti was pre-soaked in alcohol, then just add them directly into the cake mixture very slowly and mix them slowly but not too much ** ;
- You can now add a little alcohol and if the batter is too thick add more alcohol or milk (if non-alcoholic);
- Grease the Bundt pan with butter and pour the cake mixture in it**;
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees and once hot, bake the cake for 20-25 minutes till the cake is cooked.
- Garam Masala can be found in your local grocery or Indian store. The recipe for this powder will also be posted shortly.
- You can use dry fruits (cashew, almonds, pista) or use both dry fruits and tutti fruitti.
- If the dry fruits or tutti fruitti is not pre-soaked in alcohol, then you must take around 2-3 tbsp. of flour in a plate and add these dry fruits and mix them. The reason is by coating them with dry flour, the dry fruits or tutti fruitti will not settle at the bottom of the cake and will be evenly distributed.
- I pre-soaked the dry fruits and tutti fruitti in alcohol for around 8-9 months prior to preparation.
- To grease the Bundt pan, I took a piece of frozen butter and applied it to the Bundt pan without defrosting it. The cake then comes off easily and you don’t need any parchment paper either.
- The eggs should be kept at room temperature for 6-7 hours.
- Instead of all-purpose flour you can use Maida if available.