Ingredients for Pathrade:
- 30 Colocasia leaves
- 2 white cup Plain Rice
- 2 white cup Idli Rice
- 7 Kashmiri Red chillies
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- Tamarind -size of lemon (soak in water) – 1/2 of the juice is required
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tin Coconut milk (approx 1/2 cup)
- Salt- per taste
Direction to make pathrade:
- Keep aside around small 15 leaves to be chopped and to add in the ground mixture later. The balance 15 big leaves is to be used to cover up the ground ingredients)
- Soak both rice for 3-4 hours (best if soaked overnight)
- Dry roast Kashmiri red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds in a pan and allow it to cool
- Add all the above ingredients in a mixer and grind it into a very thick paste. Use water very sparingly as the batter should be very thick.
- Lay down big leaves – 2 overlapping each other – pour the batter in the middle and fold the leaves. Immediately put in the steamer and steam it till a toothpick comes out clean.
- As soon as its cool down, cut into small bite size pieces. Keep aside.
Ingredients for the curry paste:
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut*
- 1/2 tin coconut milk
- 7 Kashmiri chillies
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seed
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds(cuscus)
- 5-6 Cloves
- 4 whole cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 6-7 Black pepper
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 Onions
- 2 tbsp Tamarind water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
Direction to make curry paste:
- Dry roast kashmiri chillies, coriander seed, cumin, mustard, poppy seed, cloves, cardamon, black pepper, cinnamon stick
- Fry onion in coconut oil till it becomes a little soft – keep aside
- Now fry grated coconut till it is lightly brown – allow it to cool
- Now add all the above ingredients along with tumeric powder, tamarind water in a grinder with coconut milk to begin with. Add water if required.
Ingredients for Seasoning and final product:
- 1 tsp Mustard seed
- curry leaves – handful
- 4 medium sized chopped Tomatoes
- 2 medium chopped Onions
- 4-5 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 4 Chicken Thighs & 4 Chicken drumstick
Direction to make the final product:
- Clean and wash the chicken and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. After it splutters add curry leaves, crushed garlic and allow it to fry for a minutes
- Now add onions and let it become slightly brown.
- Add tomatoes and let the tomatoes melt
- Now add the grinded curry paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add water till the curry is thin as per desire*
- Once the curry comes to a boil, add salt as per desire and allow it to boil for a minute or two.
- Now add the chicken (thigh and drumstick) and allow the chicken to cook in this curry,
- Once the chicken has cooked, you can add the steamed and cut pathrade slowly into the curry – do not stir too much as the pathrade will break up.
- You can use frozen grated coconut if fresh is not available in your region
- Add enough water in the curry to soak the pathrade and a little more. The pathrade will absorb all the water in the curry – so its best to eat it as soon as possible.
- You can add boiled chicken or shrimps or mussels as per your taste.